Thursday 17 November 2011

Is there a right or wrong way to VM?

I have been in a new visual merchandising position now for four weeks and it has been fascinating to learn a new brand's way of VMing. I feel as though the previous position I held for over two years now barely creates the foundation to my new job role. I'm learning all the basics right from scratch including all the rules and regulations to coincide with creating a coherent brand image. But I have since been thinking, is visual merchandising a method or is it really just personal preference and taste?

I've previously been in situations where I have thought "wow this display looks really good" and within the same instance someone has torn it to pieces saying they don't like this or that and vice versa. Because VM is so personal, afterall it is your own taste and creativity being put on the line for others critique and judgement, it can be a tough old career to find yourself in.

But is there a right or wrong way? Surely if all the adjacencies are customer shoppable and relevent fashion themes have been pulled together to create a 'look' do the other bits make much difference? I suppose its like fashion itself - in my opinion Cheryl Cole is one of the worst dressed celebs yet the majority rave over her! But that doesn't mean she neither wrong nor right....it's all about personal preference.

So to all the visual merchandisers out there - should we be following the rule book or throwing it out? Are the rules and regs taking away your creativity? I'd love to know what you think....

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a really interesting question and the issues you raise are things I'm writing about at the moment for my doctoral thesis on VM...

    Everyone in VM has an opinion (which makes it both interesting and frustrating!) and the thing is, if you were creating displays for the sake of being creative, 'art for art’s sake', then the critics wouldn't matter. The reason the rules and regs matter is because you're selling stuff and more than that, you’re representing a particular brand image. In that sense then, there is a right and a wrong way to do VM because you can make a beautiful display that’s worthless if it doesn’t match the handwriting of the brand.

    I think when you’re first learning the rules and regs of a brand it makes VM feel quite restrictive. However, once that handwriting becomes second nature you’re able to channel you’re creativity in keeping with the brand without really thinking about it. In my thesis I call this ‘managed creativity’ :)

    So I guess what I’m saying is that the rule book IS important but it doesn’t need to stamp out your creativity.

    Carla x

    p.s hope you’re enjoying your dream job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had an experience, but this time its for a thesis and we're working for a director. I was to design a set for a play. At first it does hurt, but its an educational experience and about opening your boundaries. The person telling you to do this or that is not trying to change who you are, but its about pleasing someone higher than you or a colleague because its a collaborative work. At the end of the day, you are all drawn together because of your love for art.

    Stay strong and hold on, you'll be better.

    Terence from the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete